Welfare Advice

Welfare Advice

Welfare advice services offer free, confidential and specialist advice for people who live in the Bradford district.

This includes help with:

  • debt
  • housing – such as landlord and tenant issues and property disrepairs
  • welfare benefits (this includes council and non-council benefits, such as Universal Credit)
  • immigration
  • employment matters, trading standards and other issues

Find Welfare Advice in Your Area

  • Bolton and Undercliffe
  • Bowling and Barkerend
  • Bradford Moor
  • Eccleshill
  • Idle and Thackley
  • Little Horton

Your welfare advice service is Family Action

Contact Family Action:

Tel: 01274 577571 (Monday to Friday 9am to 1pm)

  • Great Horton
  • Queensbury
  • Royds
  • Tong
  • Wibsey
  • Wyke

Your welfare advice service is St Vincents De Paul (CHAS)

Contact St Vincents De Paul:

Tel: 01274 726970

  • City
  • Clayton and Fairweather Green
  • Heaton
  • Manningham
  • Thornton and Allerton
  • Toller

Your welfare advice service is Bradford Citizens Advice

Contact Bradford CAB

Tel: 03442 451 282

  • Baildon
  • Bingley
  • Ilkley
  • Keighley
  • Shipley
  • Wharfedale
  • Windhill
  • Wrose
  • Worth Valley


Your welfare advice service is Airedale Citizens Advice

Contact Airedale CAB

Tel: 0808 2787828

If you have a long term health condition and/or complex health conditions

If you have a long term health condition and/or complex health conditions, you can also access welfare advice services from:

Equality Together

Contact Equality together:

Tel: 01274 594173

BSL Users: Text 07943 405502

Help with energy costs

If you are finding it hard to pay your fuel bills or top up your pre-payment meter there is support available. As well as the funding provided by government you may be able to get help with certain benefits, grants and help offered by the energy suppliers.

You should always contact your supplier as they may be able to help.

  • If you are on a pre-payment meter and struggling to top-up, you may be able to get an emergency fuel voucher.
  • Warm Home Discount is a one-off payment of £140 applied directly to the electricity bills of eligible customers. See the government’s Warm Home Discount guidance to find out if you qualify.
  • Warm Homes Healthy People offers free independent energy advice for people in the Bradford District. If you or someone else also needs help with saving energy, using heating controls, winter warmth packs, emergency heating, help with energy suppliers, grant applications, energy and water saving devices visit the warm homes healthy people for details or call Freephone 0808 1683547.
  • Winter Fuel Payment is an annual tax-free payment to help with heating costs for households with someone over Pension Credit age. See the government’s Winter Fuel Payment guidance to see if you qualify.
  • Cold Weather Payment - this is £25 a week for each 7-day period of very cold weather over winter. You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits or Support for Mortgage Interest. See the government’s Cold Weather Payment guidance to see if you qualify.

Further support for you

You might be able to get extra help support from your supplier by signing up to the Priority Services Register. You can sign up to this if you have:

  • reached state pension age
  • you’re disabled or sick
  • or if your energy supplier considers you as ‘vulnerable’

Citizens Advice can help with registering you on the Priority Services Register, as well as helping you access any of the support listed in this section.

You can find more information on the Citizens Advice website or call 0808 278 7828.

Ask Bill is a free and impartial information source for people struggling with bills and money. It has helpful information on water and energy bills, debt and money advice plus home efficiency tips. Visit the Ask bill website to learn more.