Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independent Payment (PIP) is a benefit you can get if you are aged 16 to 64 and have an illness or disability, it has replaced Disability Living Allowance for adults. Young people claiming DLA will be invited to claim PIP after their 16th birthday.  

You must have a health condition where you:

  • have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for 3 months
  • expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months

You will be assessed by a health professional to work out the level of help you can get.

PIP is made up of two parts - daily living and mobility. Whether you get one or both of these and how much you’ll get depends on how severely your condition affects you. 

Daily Living means you need help more than half of the time with things like:

  • preparing or eating food
  • washing, bathing and using the toilet
  • dressing & undressing
  • reading and communicating
  • managing medicines/treatments
  • making decisions about money
  • engaging with other people

Mobility means that you need help going out or moving around.

The amount you get will depend on how your illness or disability affects your day to day living and not the actual condition itself. You can find out more about eligibility and how to claim by visiting 

How to claim

You can make a new Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). 

Tel: 0800 917 2222

Textphone: 0800 917 7777

Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 917 2222

Video relay service for British Sign Language (BSL) users