Help to reduce your council tax

Reduction in Council Tax

You’ll usually have to pay Council Tax if you’re 18 or over and own or rent a home.

A full Council Tax bill is based on at least 2 adults living in a home. Spouses and partners who live together are jointly responsible for paying the bill.

You’ll get 25% off your bill if you count as an adult for Council Tax and either:

  • you live on your own
  • no-one else in your home counts as an adult

There are various discounts available based on your personal circumstances, such as:

  • students
  • care leavers
  • people who are severely mentally impaired
  • people who are caring for a disabled person (who is not a spouse or child under 18)       
  • Many more

You’ll usually get a 50% discount if no-one living in your home, including you, counts as an adult.

For more information on the discount available to Bradford residents see Council Tax discounts

Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction is a local scheme which can award a further discount on your Council Tax bill based on your income and circumstances:

  • if you or your partner are a pensioner, you may receive Council Tax Reduction for up to 100% of your Council Tax bill
  • for all other working age, the maximum amount of Council Tax Reduction you may receive is 70% of a band A property charge. This means you will have to pay at least 30% of your Council Tax bill

Support for you

If you need support to apply for Council Tax Reduction, you can contact the benefits service for advice on:

Tel: 01274 43772


Visit customer service centres (please call first to make an appointment)