Help with Cost of Living

Help with the cost of living

The Government has announced several different financial support packages to help people with the rise in the cost of living, food and energy bills. All domestic energy customers will receive a grant to help with the cost of their energy bills which includes:

  • £400 support for all households with their energy bills through an expansion of the Energy Bills Support Scheme
  • £650 one-off Cost of Living Payment for those people on means tested benefits
  • £300 Pensioner Cost of Living Payment
  • £150 Disability Cost of Living Payment
  • £150 council tax rebate for households with a council tax band A-D.

For more information, please visit our Cost of Living website

Help with energy costs

If you are finding it hard to pay your fuel bills or top up your pre-payment meter there is support available. As well as the funding provided by government you may be able to get help with certain benefits, grants and help offered by the energy suppliers.

You should always contact your supplier as they may be able to help.

  • If you are on a pre-payment meter and struggling to top-up, you may be able to get an emergency fuel voucher.
  • Warm Home Discount is a one-off payment of £140 applied directly to the electricity bills of eligible customers. See the government’s Warm Home Discount guidance to find out if you qualify.
  • Warm Homes Healthy People offers free independent energy advice for people in the Bradford District. If you or someone else also needs help with saving energy, using heating controls, winter warmth packs, emergency heating, help with energy suppliers, grant applications, energy and water saving devices visit the warm homes healthy people for details or call Freephone 0808 1683547.
  • Winter Fuel Payment is an annual tax-free payment to help with heating costs for households with someone over Pension Credit age. See the government’s Winter Fuel Payment guidance to see if you qualify.
  • Cold Weather Payment - this is £25 a week for each 7-day period of very cold weather over winter. You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits or Support for Mortgage Interest. See the government’s Cold Weather Payment guidance to see if you qualify.

Further support for you

You might be able to get extra help support from your supplier by signing up to the Priority Services Register. You can sign up to this if you have:

  • reached state pension age
  • you’re disabled or sick
  • or if your energy supplier considers you as ‘vulnerable’

Citizens Advice can help with registering you on the Priority Services Register, as well as helping you access any of the support listed in this section.

You can find more information on the Citizens Advice website or call 0808 278 7828.

Ask Bill is a free and impartial information source for people struggling with bills and money. It has helpful information on water and energy bills, debt and money advice plus home efficiency tips. Visit the Ask bill website to learn more.

You can also visit our Cost of Living website

Did you know?

Bradford Council in partnership with Community Action Bradford & District, and Bradford District and Craven Health and Care Partnership (Act as One), have created a brand-new website.

The Cost of Living website has lots of useful information, services to support people through the cost of living crisis.