Housing Benefits

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you’re unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.

Housing Benefit is being replaced by Universal Credit. You can apply for Housing Benefit if:

  • You live in Supported Accommodation  
  • You live in temporary accommodation (accommodation provided to you by the council if you are homeless)
  • If you (and your partner, if you have one) have reached state pension age. For more details on the rules around 'mixed age' couples, see Shelter's online guide here

If none of these criteria apply, you should apply for Universal Credit instead.