What can we do?
There are many things we can do to reduce the amount of conflict in our relationships. Here are a few ideas:
- Try and spend more quality time together. This might be watching your favourite programme on TV, going for a walk together, or having a regular date night with your partner.
- Choose the right time to discuss things; waiting for a quiet time in the evening may be better than during a busy time like the school run or whilst getting the kids ready for bed.
- Don’t bottle things up, calmly tell your partner what is bothering you.
- Listen to each other’s views without interrupting each other; one voice at a time.
- Consider and ask each other’s their thoughts; be willing and open to compromise.
- Communication really is key - celebrate things you agree on and use this in future discussions.