About this programme
Welcoming a baby into the world can be very exciting but it also has its challenges, it can leave you feeling worried, anxious and alone. The Baby Steps programme aims to help parents prepare for all the changes coming their way.
Baby Steps is an online programme delivered by Action for Children.
You can apply via our simple online form, after applying if you need any further help or support you can contact them by:
Following additional funding from the Family Hubs Start for Life programme anyone living in the Bradford district can now apply if either mum or the family:
- have low-level mental health problems
- have learning difficulties
- lack strong social or support networks
- are a victim of domestic abuse, or have been in the past
- are suffering with substance misuse, or have done in the past
- are aged 20 or under
- are in the care system, or have been in the past
- experience poor living conditions or severe financial hardship
- are homeless
- Chaotic lifestyle and/ore moves around a lot
- are not in education, employment or training
- have difficulty reading, speaking or understanding English
- are from particularly disadvantaged or isolated minority ethnic communities
- are recent migrants, asylum seekers, refugees
- are gypsies or travellers
- are or have been offenders
- children have a social worker
- children have been taken in to care
Baby Steps focuses on the move to parenthood, the relationship between parents and developing a healthy positive relationship between parents and their babies.
The programme starts anywhere from week 26 to week 30 of pregnancy. There are 4 online sessions before birth and 2 after. Each session is 1.5 hours per week.
What the sessions cover
Session 1: How our babies develop, our health and well-being
Session 2: Transition to parenthood
Session 3: Labour and birth
Session 4: Caring for and meeting our babies
After giving birth:
Visit after giving birth which includes gifts for mum, baby and siblings
Session 5: Welcoming our babies
Session 6: Bonding with our babies and our family's future
Your group will be made up of other couples and single mums at a similar stage of pregnancy. It will be run by a children's practitioner and a qualified midwife.
The group is friendly, comfortable and designed to give you and your baby the support you need to begin your life together.
Here’s what other parents said after the programme
Mum aged 18:
Baby Steps has helped me with my confidence and provided me with information that I still use to this day. You have made me feel so welcome and comfortable throughout the programme, and I hope new mothers-to-be benefit from the programme like I have.
We were having our first baby, my wife was new to the country, we had no family or friends. Baby Steps supported us emotionally and helped us understand what to expect when having a baby in the UK. We made a friend who lives locally and helps my wife to socialise in the community. We felt so comfortable by attending the group, it was a great learning experience for us. We learnt the importance of parenting responsibilities, and how we can make a positive difference in our child's life.